Sunday, October 27, 2013

Old School

Good morning family. Thank you to everyone who came out to support the Matthews Children's Halloween party. I was very impressed with all the super heroes that showed up. We had some spooky visitors, princesses, mickeys and fairies as well. Shout out to Court, Alva, Zeina and Lexus for putting it all together. Dee and I, as usual, cooked and cleaned, WOW. Watching our children interact with others always teaches me or reminds of things that have changed. As a child I didn't always have a bucket to put my candy in. I picked up a grocery bag or a pillow case. I didn't question my parents about a lack/need or beg for a full costume. I was lucky to get a mask, ya'll know the little cheap ones. We didn't have an organized party and as a matter of fact we had to walk to the other side of town to get the good "candy". There's no doubt that the lives of our children and grandchildren are totally different from what we knew or where we come from. What I understand and believe is that we have to instill better values, remind our children that the reason they are more privileged is because someone stood up for their future. Someone died to give them the right to celebrate whatever they wanted and whenever they wanted. My parents and grandparents raised me to be respectful of others, not to speak out of turn and to listen, basic discipline. I'm not criticizing anyone or judging, just putting a reminder out there that the same disciplines that applied yesterday have to be applied today. If we can take it back to "back in the day" we'll experience less "black on black" crime, a more successful family life, less stress, more graduates and more respect for who we are from the "inside and outside". Lastly but certainly not least, our children need to know our Lord and Savior. It warms my heart, makes me smile, when my grandkids ask me questions about God or about biblical characters. I shout on the inside. YAH. TeamOldSchoolPleaseComeBack. Bblessedloveyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment